The Portland Municipal Airport BOAC hereby announces the intended adoption of their proposed Disadvantaged Business Enterprise goal of 5.4% for the 2020-2022 plan year beginning October 1, 2019. The goal methodology and plan can be reviewed at the Airport, and any comments submitted prior to August 1, 2019 in writing to:
661 W 100 N
Portland, IN 47371
United States Department of Transportation
Federal Aviation Administration
Great Lakes Region - Civil Rights Staff
2300 East Devon Avenue
Des Plaines, Illinois 60018
The Portland Municipal Airport dates back to 1933 when land was leased for small north-south and east-west sod strips. These were constructed by the Federal W.P.A. and local labor. The facility was dedicated in 1934 but reverted back to farmland in 1937.
In 1942 the acreage was purchased by Oliver Steed and in 1946 was leased for use as a commercial airport. In 1947 David (Dick) Shreeve became manager of the airport, at the time a 2000 ft. sod strip.
The runway was extended to 2600 feet in 1960 and in 1966 a 3200 X 60 ft. the east-west strip was dedicated.
A new 4000 X 75 ft. was dedicated in 1982, parallel to the originally paved runway. Since that time, projects including a taxiway extension, computerized weather station, lighting projects, terminal renovation, hangar construction projects, and other modernizations have taken place.
The Federal Aviation Administration approved the justification to extend the current runway to 5500 feet in 2015 and this project is on-going.