• City Council Meeting
    5:30 pm
    Council Chambers, 1616 North Franklin Street Portland, IN 47371
  • Park Board Meeting
    7:00 pm
    Council Chambers, 1616 North Franklin Street Portland, IN 47371
  • Aviation Board Meeting
    3:30 pm
    Airport Conference Room, 661 West 100 North Portland, IN 47371

Find More Events


Jay County / Portland Building & Planning Department

Contact Info

John Hemmelgarn
Patricia J. McLaughlin
  Assistant Director

Jay/Portland Building & Planning Dept.
Community Resource Center
118 S. Meridian Street / Ste E
Portland, Indiana 47371

Phone Number: 260-726-6904
Fax Number:

Department Functions/Services
  • Issue City & County Building and Zoning Permits
  • Administer City & County Zoning Ordinance
  • Perform Building and Zoning Inspections
  • Administer Local Plan Review Process
  • Administer Rezoning Process
  • Provide City & County Plan Commission Staff Support
  • Provide City & County Board of Zoning Appeals Staff Support
  • Administer City & County Flood Control Ordinances
  • Respond to Citizen Inquiries and Requests

Zoning Regulations

Area of Coverage:

The City of Portland has the authority within the City limits and two (2) miles beyond the City Limits. Portland zoning ordinance

Zoning Maps & Flood Plain Maps

Jay County GIS - Zoning maps are provided by 39 Degrees North

Floodway Areas

Floodways and flood plain areas are regulated by Portland, Jay County, the Indiana
Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and FEMA. If you are building near a ditch,
waterway or low area, you need to contact our Department for the requirements and
regulations governing these areas. Floodways and flood plain areas are available on
the eGIS site.

Jay County GIS - Flood plain maps  

Confined Feeding Regulations Section 216

Do I Need A Permit For …

New Home- Yes
Garage or Carport- Yes
New or Enlarged Basement- Yes
Additions & Structural Changes- Yes
Roof Structural Changes- Yes
Porch Roof & Lean-to- Yes
Deck- Yes
Fence- Yes
Accessory Buildings (100 Sq Ft & Larger) - Yes
Pool, Above or In Ground- Yes
Pond- Yes
Signage- Yes
Awning- Yes
Commercial Buildings & Structures- Yes
Ag Buildings, Structures & Grain Bins- Yes
Towers- Yes
Merchant & Business Occupancy- Yes
Home Occupation- Yes

Replacement of
Windows- No
Vinyl Siding- No
Sidewalks- No
Driveways- No

Permit Application Form & Permit Fees:

Permit application form is available for download.

Permit fees vary depending on the project and are not published on line. Please
contact the Department to obtain the permit fees applicable to your project.


The department will assist you in meeting the Zoning and Building requirements applicable to your project.

Just Call 260-726-6904